Home > Development, Reflex Integration & More Essentials > Proprioception
The Second Power Sensation: Proprioception
* Arises from firing in tiny receptors located in muscles, tendons, and ligaments that surround joints.
* Tell the brain where body parts are and what they are doing without our having to look
* Provide the sense of our body's "contents"
* Proprioceptive information from the kinesthetic system signals about the movements and disposition of the body, forming an internal mental model of the body.
Proprioceptive input causes a release of Serotonin, which is the master regulator chemical in the cortex. The effects of Serotonin are important to understand:
*Serotonin and Dopamine levels increase with proprioception which helps with attention and learning
*You can’t get too much serotonin
*Serotonin breaks up dopamine to prevent hyperactivity and over processing of information resulting in a neutral state
* Serotonin is the "Master Modulator Chemical"
*It sets the firing level for all other neurotransmitters
*If Serotonin is released suddenly in large amounts, the brain responds with endorphins and we experience "emotional highs."
* The latent effect of this kind of release of serotonin over a twenty-minute period means a 1 ½ to 2 hour experience of "feeling good."
* 9x’s rule: For individuals with hypotonia (low muscle tone) it takes 9 times the effort to get enough tone and to a ready state to even begin to corticalize the information being taken in by muscles and joint receptors. Proprioceptive input helps increase muscle tone and "wake up the muscles "
*self-injury causes release of serotonin (this is why children bite, pinch, hit, head bang, etc.)
Heidi Clopton OTR/L Information taken from research and Ready Approach by Hanshu
Site empowered by