Here is a summary from Dr. David Perlmutter, M.D., F.A.C.N. Neurologist recommendations from his book- Raise a Smarter Child by Kindergarten (raise IQ by 30 points, how to treat ADHD, have a smarter more focused child) & 25 years of Center of Development and Center of Vision insights for treatment of ADHD naturally:
1. Feed the Brain & Body= Diet and nutrition rich in healthy proteins, purified forms of DHA, lots of purified water, organic fruits and veggies, and lean protein foods and little to no cow's milk, gluten, or anything artificial or processed in diet while pregnant, nursing and then for children.
Use goat milk products when pregnant and nursing. Avoid cow's milk products always. Cow's milk has many researched negative issues that are not healthy for our brains or bodies.
American diets are some of the worst in the world for nutritional value, and our processed and fast foods are causing childhood disorders like ADHD to rise dramatically.
No artificial colors, preservatives, flavor enhancers, nitrates, etc.
Nothing artificial or words you don't understand should be in your foods. Limit fast food intake dramatically.
Limit processed food intake.
NO artificial sugars or dyes.
2. Limit electronics- limit TV, screen time, phone play, IPADS and video games to NONE before age 3 and limit to 30 minutes a day after that. Near focus time should be limited to educational needs on computer and at school, not for fun or as a "time filler".
They should be playing with toys that are manipulatives, hands on learning or using their bodies in play inside and outside movements rather than electronics.
Video games should be movement based and NEVER violent.
Limit to 30 minutes as a privilege that is earned not given freely.
3. Classical Music- formal musical training before age 4 and classical music are brain boosters.
4. Low stress environment is vital to a child's emotional, physical, and mental health and their IQ!
Aerobic exercise daily with lots of outdoor time, running, playing, climbing, swinging, jumping, riding bikes, and lots of deep pressure touch daily to calm sensory systems.
When they can't be outside get creative inside with: rebounder mini trampoline jumping, You Tube Kids exercise/CrossFit/ aerobic exercise workouts, karate
Nightly routines to calm: aerobic exercise at least 20 minutes high heart rate, linear swinging for at least 15 minutes, Epsom Salt magnesium bath and magnesium based massage lotion for natural calming, whole body deep pressure touch with massage and/or lay on vibration massage mat at night (under a thick mattress cover over the mat) and a weighted blanket to calm.
5. Love to LEARN= Don't drill rote memory skills into a child's brain. Create a love for learning and learning hands on environment where a child can learn, explore, have questions, and even make mistakes but learn from their mistakes and have a love of learning.
Let them learn it is okay to take intellectual risk and learn from it.
Children need to feel like they are succeeding and NOT failing all the time.
6. Feed the brain neurological system and Myelin Sheath for faster connections, more focus, and prune the excessive connections by doing repetition, healthy forms of DHA daily, purified water,aerobic exercise (heart rate must get high for at least 20 minutes several times per day) and lots of calming touch inputs. Research shows that children who are raised in a loving environment full of loving touch with hugs, rough housing, etc. have a higher IQ. Dr. John Ratey has some great research in his book SPARK!
Memory is enhanced by deep pressure touch (massage, vibration, hugs).
Sensory Integration based OT can help with this and set up your child's best sensory diet needs.
7. Decrease STRESS & Increase CALM! Decrease any anxiety or stress reactions called: freeze, fight or flight responses with calming sensory diet inputs. See a pediatric Occupational Therapist for more help and work on reflex integration with your pediatric OT.
8. SLEEP is vital! No lights, electronics or TV in bedroom when sleeping- any light source at night, especially a TV decreases melotonin production in the brain and you need this neurotransmitter to have good sleep cycles! No electronics at least 2 hours before bed time for the best natural release of Melatonin.
9. Supplement as needed with DHA, good multivitamin, probiotics, and have iron & iodine levels checked. If gut issues, eczema, poor focus, or bad attention check for food sensitivities.
1.0 Watch intake of all non natural sugars, especially high fructose, sucrose, dextrose, maltose or any "-ose" sugar. These contain excitotoxins that cross the blood brain barrier disrupting production of important neurotransmitters and promote free radical damage to brain cells.
12. Get genetic supplement tested www.drclopton.com locally in UC Dr. Clopton is a genetic consultant trained and provider with Neurobiologix. Learn more at www.drclopton-nbestore.com one fantastic natural supplement for ADHD is called Full Focus by NeuroBiologix.
13. Vision issues are often mistaken for ADHD- 80% of a child's visual attention and learning can be affected by a visual issue. Paying attention at near is more than just reading a visual acuity chart- there are over 20 different visual processing areas that have to be evaluated and treated by a COVD Fellowship trained Optometrist. If you think our child or student may have ADHD have a comprehensive vision exam with a COVD fellowship trained optometrist first before doing medications.
14. Auditory processing- many children labled ADHD actually have Auditory Processing delays. These are evaluated by UT KNOXVILLE Audiology program and Vanderbilt.
Site empowered by