The Links to Magnesium Deficiency
Magnesium is a must. The diets of all Americans are likely to be deficient........Even a mild deficiency causes sensitiveness to noise, anxiety, irritability, mental depression, confusion, twitching, trembling, apprehension, insomnia, muscle weakness and cramps in the toes, feet, legs, or fingers.
Adelle Davis, writing in Let's Have Healthy Childre
Magnesium is a vital co-factor in several hundred enzymatic reactions in the human body, so a deficiency of magnesium can result in a wide variety of health problems, as shown in the table below.
Subset of Conditions Linked to Magnesium Deficiency
- mitral valve prolapse
- muscle twitches
- muscle cramps
- difficulty breathing
- What causes deficiencies? When we have a lack of vegetables, beans and other whole foods in our diet. Even short periods of time like around Halloween or when on vacation.
- After being on prescription antibiotics.
- When we eat foods preserved with garlic. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and if you eat enough of it it can kill the beneficial bacteria in your digestive system as well as prescription antibiotics.
- When we eat a lot of white enriched bread or rice. In the U.S., white bread and rice are often "enriched" with iron and vitamin B6, both of which are magnesium antagonists. Yet, they are not enriched with any magnesium so eating a lot of enriched grain products isn't the best diet for us.
- From multivitamin supplements or powders, many of which have very little magnesium, yet many magnesium antagonists.
- Diets high in salt and SUGAR can cause a loss of magnesium.
- Bowel issues- frequent constipation, runny stools, irritable bowel syndrome, candidiasis or other digestive upset.
Alcohol use is another possible cause of magnesium deficiency, leading some experts to suggest that hangovers are actually acute, temporary episodes of a deficiency of this nutrient.
Migraine headaches are another condition that has been linked to both magnesium deficiency and sensitive hearing.
Noise Sensitivity Treatments
The treatments that work for us are basically just to:
- Eat more magnesium rich foods such as cashews, dark chocolate, green leafy vegetables
- Take probiotic supplements
- Check out Kid Calm a liquid multi-vitamin all in one by Natural Vitality or other magnesium supplements